Sunday, October 2, 2011

Lunch boxes (September 26 ~ 30)



Kamaboko Donburi Bento
Kamaboko and mixed vegetables,
cook in a Japanese sweet broth (soy sauce, sugar, mirin),
add eggs at the end and finish cooking.
Pour over warm rice.



Halloween is coming Bento
It's hard to believe that this was the last week of September. Next month is Halloween and it's my daughter's favorite time of the year. I made chicken karage (Japanese chicken nuggets) stuck with toothpicks, wrapped with foil, and tied with Halloween themed ribbons. Cheese cut like ghosts and bats decorated with seaweed added some scare. Ketchup rice with bacon and mixed vegetables along with broccoli and grapes rounded out the food pyramid.





Anpanman Bento

Anpanman is a hugely popular cartoon charactor in Japan, he will be known by any Japanese child.
I have a bread machine and so I made this Anpanman red bean bread for my daugheter's lunch. Look at those cheeks!



I also made a simple roll bread made into a fish sandwich with baked Trader Joe's frozen fish nuggets with ketchup and mayo sauce. Yum.


I wrapped these homemade breads individually. I added grapes and cheese in a white paper bag with my own artistic touch.




Teddy Bear Bento

I made this for 2nd time. Everyone loves a bear!




Yaki Udon Bento

Stir fried Japanese udon noodle with pork and vegetables in a mentsuyu sauce. 


6 comments:

  1. I heart this post a lot!!! What a fabulous job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so fun! I love your Halloween one. What a fun surprise for your child! I also love the white bag with your cute drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,
    I love Halloween one too! I hope to make more Halloween ones in October. :)

    ReplyDelete