Sunday, September 12, 2010

MIA

Hi there,

I need to apologize for not updating my blog in such a long time. I have a good excuse though. I got pregnant and my morning sickness had been horrible. I did not feel like cooking or baking for a very long time. Now that I am 5 months along I feel much better and I can start to cook and bake again. However, my taste buds have not been normal lately, pregnancy still has its grip on me.

It has been frustrating that not only can I not cook, I also cannot enjoy food like I used to. I crave strange and unhealthy things. I typically am turned off by McDonald's and I don't drink soda, preferring instead tea or coffee. However, while I was suffering from morning sickness, I craved a McDonald's cheeseburger, french fries, and a coke. I tried to stop myself from eating and drinking them but I gave in 3 times and ordered a happy meal late one night. My husband gave me a hard time quoting Food Inc. Yes honey, I know all about it but I could not help it. I was powerless.

Again I apologize and thank you for patience waiting for my blog update. I hope to do a better job blogging until my 2nd child comes in February, 2011. After number two is born, I might dissapear for a while again.

Today I want to introduce a Japanese food again. It is called Tonkatsu.

Tonkatsu is a breaded deep fried pork. It is very simple and you can use leftovers and make 2 other dishes.


Tonkatsu Recipe:

Ingredients:



  • 1 1/2 lb pork loin or pork tenderloin cut in 1 inch thickness (I prefer tenderloin but I could only find normal pork loin today)

  • 3 eggs

  • flour

  • panko (Japanese bread crmubs)

  • salt and pepper

  • oil for deep frying

How to make:



  1. Tenderize the pork by pounding, adding salt and pepper generousely all over

  2. Dust with flour, coat in an egg mix, and finally coat them with Panko. Dust, dip, dip.

  3. Deep fry them until they are cooked (and be careful - we're working with pork)

I eat them with tonkatsu sauce which you can get in most asian grocery stores.




The next day I used the leftovers to make a sandwich. Typically deep fried leftovers are soggy and unappetizing, but tonkatsu is a bit different. I warmed up the tonkatsu in a microwave and coated them with tonkatsu sauce, generously. Butter (and mayo if you want) the sandwich bread and add lettuce and tonkatsu and voila, my lunch! In Japan this is a popular sandwhich called "Katsu-sando".





Looking for another idea? Try this.



I made Donburi by using leftover tonkatsu. In Japan it is called "Katsu-don".


Here is the recipe of Katsu-don:


Ingredients:


  • 4 tonkatsu (or more)

  • 1 yellow onion

  • 3-4 eggs

  • 500 ml dashi (or just water)

  • 4 tbs sugar

  • 4 tbs sake

  • 1-2 tbs mirin

  • 6 tbs soy sauce

    • How to make:



      1. In a deep pan, mix dashi, sugar, sake, mirin, soysauce

      2. As soon as the mixture boils turn down the heat to medium and add thinly sliced yellow onion, cook

      3. Once the onions are soft add tonkatsu and cook for 5 min or so to heat up the tonkatsu

      4. Finally pour mixed eggs all over and without touching let the eggs cook but not until they are cooked completely and hard - I stop when the eggs are still soft

      5. Put all over warm rice and enjoy!




      I generally don't like to deep fry at home beacuse I am stuck with left over oil and a house that smells like deep fried oil. But tonkatsu can be so versatile, it is worth it. I hope you think so too. Enjoy!

      4 comments:

      1. Wow, you are really talented. Thanks for sharing this recipe- I love Tonkatsu! I was just looking for blogs by Japanese-American moms (like me) and I stumbled upon yours.

        ReplyDelete
      2. I made tonkatsu a few nights ago and loved it. Since I have 4 pieces leftover I think I'm going to try making the Katsu-don tomorrow night . . . if I can find mirin at the supermarket tomorrow. :-) Thanks so much for the authentic recipes, Ai!

        ReplyDelete
      3. Hello Hatsuho-san,

        Thank you for your compliment. :) I have not updated my blog for a long time but hopefully I will start updating more this spring and summer more to introduce more Japanese food recipe as well as other countries recipe.

        ReplyDelete
      4. Hi Martina,

        I am so glad to hear that you gave this recipe a try! :)I get very excited when my friends enjoy cooking Japanese food and enjoy eating them. I love to update my blog more but since I got pregnant my taste buds changed and I am worried about writing down some recipes here. Hopefully this year I will update more. ;)

        ReplyDelete